Monday, August 4, 2008

Sonic Violence: Metal's Answer To Right Said Fred


As we have stated here at M.I. before, the Hard N' Heavy Grindcore compilation was an extremely important landmark in the world of death metal. Not really. Still, that damn video continues to deliver joy every single time we watch it. Pretty amazing feat, since it was more than 15 years ago that each of us bought it at our local mall's Suncoast store.

Yes, the name of the video was largely incorrect ("Boring Death Metal To Fall Asleep To" would have been more accurate), the animation was laughable, and many of the bands were awful. But hey, you have to break some eggs to make an omelette. By far one of the greatest eggs to be broken in order for this great metal omelette was Sonic Violence. Many critics have argued that Cerebral Fix was the lowest point in the video, and perhaps those critics are right. But when it comes to sheer stupidity, musical madness, Right Said Fred-like fashion choices and extremely quotable content, Sonic Violence are the kings.


As you watch the video below, note that they have to use two bass players in order to replicate the heaviness of their prior bass player. Perhaps they should have looked into having one bass player use something a bit more substantial than a damn Peavy 2 x12! (Hence my use of the "budget metal" label.)




15 comments:

  1. I never knew Max Schreck played in an industrial metal band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Danelectro sperm bass you guys got there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound industrial...that boring genre or sub-genre that Assache and other labels, at a certain point, tried to push.
    However, I don't know the tracklist on that video, but at least half of the bands (in their golden days) were awesome.
    But I'm aware that taking the worst of each band, you can make a shitpile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the bearded guy looking at? He seems to be perplexed by the birdsongs.

    It's very telling to note that SV is the only band on this video that I have no recollection of...

    ReplyDelete
  5. argh. this needs a "things i would destroy if i had access to the nocturnus time machine" label, absolutely unbearable. makes me want to throw myself on a sword to escape the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whats up with the awkward "mute" in the shades?? what a wallflower. i think he was in a new wave band prior to. he's got that typical bird-face profile of englanders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time you guys bring up this video, I laugh my ass off, because I actually saw it probably 15 years ago. Such cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'll take industrial over brütal death or any death metal for that matter. kiss my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this video and have also enjoyed it many times, though I prefer the no-quite-so-ineptly-titled thrash metal special which poses the brilliant question, “Who has got the biggest dick in Candlemass?”

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are reforming ya know.
    www.myspace.com/sonicviolence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I fianlly found which I actually want.

    ReplyDelete

  12. It is always so interesting to visit your site. What a great information, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post, the information you shared was resourceful and I enjoyed reading it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete