Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Retroview: Scatterbrain- Here Comes Trouble


Hey dude, don't call me dude!

Have you thought about Scatterbrain lately? If not, I don't blame you- they were terrible. But you have to admit that there was something strangely compelling about their brand of funk/thrash/comedy metal. Well, I guess you don't have to, but you know what I mean. They were basically one small, small step removed from Weird Al, which isn't generally a compliment. I thought they were really funny when I was 12.

Musically, they weren't that far removed from other terrible funk/rap metal bands of the time like Mordred, Faith No More, or Slik Toxic. However, the difference was that we laughed with Scatterbrain, while we laughed at those other bands. OK, we laughed at Scatterbrain too, but it was a little different. I look at it this way: if I was going to my 10 year high school reunion, I'd be way less embarrassed to say I'd spent the last few years playing with Scatterbrain than Mordred. But then, I'd probably rather be a registered sex offender than confess to being in Mordred.

Anyway, the early 90s were a weird time. People were experimenting a lot, sometimes it worked out well (Cynic), other times... not so much. But no matter what I say about them, we'll always have the classic video for "Don't Call Me Dude!" in our cultural lexicon, and for that, I am grateful.

13 comments:

  1. oh shit. they are ex Ludichrist, too right? that might double the suck factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scatterbrain was one of the worst bands ever in the history of life. I had a friend who kinda liked this band when we were younger, but I have never in my entire life been able to tolerate listening to them for even three minutes. I just tried again. Twice. Two different songs. Still no dice. Fucking terrible. How the hell did they do even ONE full-length album!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scatterbrain- Here Comes Trouble: guilty pleasure, right here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. but seriously, mordred are like 10000x worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. scatterbrain didn't "introduce the funk" as mordred did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gotta stick up for Faith No More here. I may not ever have to hear "Epic" again for as long as I live, but that band was fucking incredible. "Epic" didn't represent their sound....it was a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Ex Ludichrist. I have an annoying story about them coming up on my blog in the next week or so. Glen and Tommy were actually really cool dudes. I'm drunk, ignore me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah the singer is kinda grating now that I re-listen, a strange mutation of John Travolta(Welcome Back Kotter) meets John Lovitz. BUT! the music is pretty godamn tight, these guys gave Wrathchild America a run for their prog-thrash-funk money. Yeah I'm gonna go dig this album for a bit, thanks for the mammories M.I. !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an autographed tape on the 2nd album, scamboogery over in a pile of tapes on the table next to me. It is an atrotious album!! lacking in thrash - bought it at amoeba for a buck

    first record is good though, I remember "down with the ship" playing on TNT - Top nine tonight on waaf alongside slaughter and steelheart and stuff

    ReplyDelete
  11. btw Ignorance was the greatest funk metal band with "The confident rat"

    They too had a lousy 2nd record (also on metal blade) lacking in both thrash and funk leaving I know not what

    ReplyDelete
  12. why does no one ever address Ludichrist? I think Ludichrist ruled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mordred's In This Life is one of the best albums ever made. Brilliant songwriting, tight riffs and an irresistible groove. Scatterbrain is beyond words,truly abysmal. So fuckin' annoying.

    ReplyDelete